From X-Ways Software Technology AG
WinHex is in its core a universal hexadecimal editor, particularly helpful in the realm of computer forensics, data recovery, low-level data processing, and IT security. An advanced tool for everyday and emergency use: inspect and edit all kinds of files, recover deleted files or lost data from hard drives with corrupt file systems or from digital camera cards.
Features include (depending on the license type):
* Disk editor for hard disks, floppy disks, CD-ROM & DVD, ZIP, Smart Media, Compact Flash, ...
* Native support for FAT, NTFS, Ext2/3, ReiserFS, Reiser4, UFS, CDFS, UDF
* Built-in interpretation of RAID systems and dynamic disks
* Various data recovery techniques
* RAM editor, providing access to physical RAM and other processes' virtual memory
* Data interpreter, knowing 20 data types
* Editing data structures using templates (e.g. to repair partition table/boot sector)
* Concatenating and splitting files, unifying and dividing odd and even bytes/words
* Analyzing and comparing files
* Particularly flexible search and replace functions
* Disk cloning (under DOS with X-Ways Replica)
* Drive images & backups (optionally compressed or split into 650 MB archives)
* Programming interface (API) and scripting