VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
It doesn't need any external codec or program to work.
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
- New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- New resamplers for higher quality audio.
- New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp...
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android
- Fix DVB-S delivery system detection
- Fix playback initial synchronization with PulseAudio (however similar bugs in PulseAudio version 2.0 and later still exist)
- Fix file output bug affecting floating point on big endian systems
- Fix crash with some embedded subtitle fonts
- Fix buffer overflow in HTML subtitles parser
- Fix koreus lua parser
- Improve reliability for RTSP streams sent by some IP cameras
- Fix division by 0 in AIFF demuxer
- Fix some MKV crashes when ordered editions have empty or broken links
- Fix SWF potential crash on malformed files.
- Fix crash in Freetype with embedded fonts
- Fix wrong aspect ratio in some cases
- Fix Mpeg-2 audio and video encoders initialization
- Fix https streaming
Fix audio and video track selection:
- The constant track identifier is now always used. Some functions previously incorrectly used the (moving) index of the track in the table of tracks.
- Update of Asturian, Bengali (India), Bosnian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, French, Galician, Scottish Gaelic, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Khmer, Malayalam, Polish, Slovak, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish, Thai translations
- Initial translations for Welsh and Interlingua