SharePoint Cascaded Lookup is a powerful look-up tool that greatly enhances the lookup functionality already native to SharePoint. It quickly cross-references existing data from a list or site from any site collection (it works across site collections) and then applies a combination of filters to reduce the number of options presented in the dropdown menu of your lookup field. To use it, you set a combination of filters available in both the source list (the list you are looking up from) and the target list (the list where you want to add looked-up information) to ensure that only applicable values are displayed as choices in the dropdown list.
SharePoint Cascaded Lookup creates relationships between columns in the same list: you build a parent-child relationship between a set of columns so that the value you choose in the parent column determines the options presented in the child column.
How Does It Work?
In order to take full advantage of the functionality of Cascaded Lookup, you need to establish several things:
* The Source List, which is the list from which Cascaded Lookup will look up information. The Source list can be in any site collection.
* The Source Column, located in the Source List, that contains all of the possible values
- If users have no permission to access the source list, an Access Deny error will occur when users enter the New Item form or Edit Item form.
- Users need to reenter the value if the other columns cannot pass the validation when submitting the New Item form or Edit Item Form.
- If the source list or source site has been deleted, an error will occur when users enter the New Item form or Edit Item form.
30 days trial