From Ronen Tzur
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.
The red arrows indicate changes flowing from a running program into your computer. The box labeled Hard disk (no sandbox) shows changes by a program running normally. The box labeled Hard disk (with sandbox) shows changes by a program running under Sandboxie. The animation illustrates that Sandboxie is able to intercept the changes and isolate them within a sandbox, depicted as a yellow rectangle. It also illustrates that grouping the changes together makes it easy to delete all of them at once.
Benefits of the Isolated Sandbox
# Secure Web Browsing: Running your Web browser under the protection of Sandboxie means that all malicious software downloaded by the browser is trapped in the sandbox and can be discarded trivially.
# Enhanced Privacy: Browsing history, cookies, and cached temporary files collected while Web browsing stay in the sandbox and don't leak into Windows.
# Secure E-mail: Viruses and other malicious software that might be hiding in your email can't break out of the sandbox and can't infect your real system.
# Windows Stays Lean: Prevent wear-and-tear in Windows by installing software into an isolated sandbox.
- Improved keyboard navigation in Files and Folders View and related dialog boxes.
- Added settings for direct access to password and session management for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- Removed some SBIE2102 pop-up messages regarding large Firefox data files.
- During upgrade, installer will automatically close programs running in the sandbox.
- Color border was sometimes not showing correctly for windows which do not have a standard title bar.
- Fixed a bug which could trigger a system crash (BSOD) under some uncommon conditions, on 64-bit Windows.
- Fixed a bug which could trigger a system crash during system start-up, due to a conflict with other security software, on 32-bit Windows.
- Improved compatibility with reparse points: directory junctions, mounted volumes, and Windows Vista/7 symbolic links.
- Improved compatibility with security software: avast! (Script Shield), NetNanny 6.5.
- Improved compatibility with third-party utilities: EverNote, nVidia nView, Sticky Password (for Internet Explorer 9), Volumouse, WinMount.