From Michal ?iha?
Gammu is the name of the project as well as name of command line utility, which you can use to control your phone. It is written in C and built on top of libGammu.
Gammu command line utility provides access to wide range of phone features, however support level differs from phone to phone and you might want to check Gammu Phone Database for user experiences with various phones. Generally following features are supported:
* Call listing, initiating and handling
* SMS retrieval, backup and sending
* MMS retrieval
* Phonebook listing, export and import (also from standard formats such as vCard)
* Calendar and tasks listing, export and import (also from standard formats such as vCalendar or iCalendar)
* Retrieval of phone and network information
* Access to phone file system (note that some phones work also as USB storage devices and those are not accessible through Gammu)
This project has originally forked from Gnokii and up to version 0.58 has been named MyGnokii2. Then need for better name arrived and Gammu was chosen as an acronym for Gammu All Mobile Management Utilities, without knowing that Gammu from the "Heretics of Dune" book written by Frank Herbert exists.
The Gammu package does not include just this binary, but as well Gammu SMS Daemon, Gammu library and Python bindings which you can use to develop own application accessing mobile phone.
This release comes with two big changes which need to be tested - first is rewrite of SQL backends in SMSD, which unifies their code and allows better customization, the second one is experimental support for m-obex protocol used by some Samsung phones. Please test those and report any problems found, we need to stabilize these features.