From Just Great Software
EditPad Lite is a general-purpose text editor, designed to be small and compact, yet offer all the functionality you expect from a basic text editor. EditPad Lite works with Windows 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7.
EditPad Lite is free for non-commercial use. That is, you may use EditPad Lite if you do not get paid, directly or indirectly, for the work you do with EditPad Lite. Registered charities may also use EditPad Lite. If you want more editing power or need a text editor to use at work
* You can open as many files in EditPad at a time as you want.
* You change between the open files by clicking on their tabs. No hassle with heaps of overlapping windows.
* You will enjoy EditPad's unlimited undo and redo. You can even undo changes after saving them, as long as you did not close the file.
* EditPad reads and writes UNIX (LF only) and Mac (CR only) text files (in addition to DOS/Windows CR+LF files, of course).
* With EditPad you can directly edit Unicode text files and text files encoded in a variety of legacy code pages. EditPad supports all Windows and ISO-8859 code pages, plus a wide selection of DOS, KOI8 and EBCDIC code pages. This means EditPad can edit any text file, whether it was saved on a Windows
- Editor: Ctrl+Left Shift and Ctrl+Right Shift toggle the direction of the text to left-to-right or right-to-left when a keyboard for a right-to-left language is installed (though not necessarily active).
- Search: Auto-completion of the Search drop-down list on the search toolbar (when using it without the full search panel) is now case sensitive when the Case Sensitive search option is turned on; the Replace drop-down list is now always case sensitive.
- Search: Pressing Esc while the search or replace drop-down list has keyboard focus (while using the search toolbar without the full search panel) moves keyboard focus back to the main editor.
- Text Layout|Cursors: Cursor shape now has two flag options. One makes the flag indicate the direction of the input language (as in Notepad), the other the direction of the text the cursor is at (as EditPad 7 did previously).
- Convert: Convert menu commands inserted an extraneous space when converting a rectangular selection that spans only a single line.
- Editor: Characters were squished together when using a bold proportionally spaced font and the first file you opened with that font had word wrapping set to a specific line length.
- Editor: Pasting while a rectangular block is selected does not correctly replace the selection unless the cursor is in the upper left corner.
- Editor: When line numbers are being shown and word wrap is off, the left hand gutter does not expand to accommodate line numbers beyond 9,999 when adding lines to the file if it previously had fewer than 10,000 lines.
- Forum: Editing a message and then deleting the edits instead of sending them incorrectly decremented the message count for the conversation.
- Help|Create Portable Installation did not copy over the layouts of the toolbars and side panels.
- Keyboard: Pressing F10 activated the main menu instead of invoking the command it was assigned to (View|Files Panel by default).
- Options|Text Layout: Pressing F1 or clicking the Help button on the text layout configuration window did nothing.
- Preferences|Save Files: Saving backups in a specific folder should be disabled when the "hidden history folder" option is selected.
- Search: Alt+Letter keyboard shortcuts that aren't used on the search toolbar but are used by main menu items don't work when the search or replace drop-down list has keyboard focus.
- Search: Replacing with the %MATCH% placeholder triggered an access violation when a regular expression found a zero-length match.
- Tabs: Right-clicking on the X when close buttons are shown directly on tabs caused a "list index out of bounds" error.
- Text Layout: The strictly monospaced left-to-right layout now correctly spaces the full-width variants of ASCII characters as ideographs even when the option to space all ASCII characters as ideographs is off.
- Toolbars: The Large Icons item in the right-click menu for toolbars did not change its checked state when changing the same option via the Customize item in the right-click menu.
- Undo and redo should not work on files that have been marked as read-only after saving the changes.
- View: Switching between custom layouts or restoring the default layout sometimes failed with a "cannot focus disabled or invisible window" error, causing further errors when trying to interact with the toolbars and/or side panels.
- Windows 7: Maximizing EditPad, then minimizing it, and then double-clicking a file in Windows Explorer brought up EditPad's window in its restored size (not maximized).