From Audacity Developer Team
Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. Learn more about Audacity... Also check our Wiki and Forum for more information.
This release highlights exciting new capabilities
* FFmpeg support (downloadable separately) permits import and export of a much wider range of file formats, including WMA, M4A and AC3, plus import of audio from video files
* On-demand loading of uncompressed files eliminates the wait before files can be played or edited
* Linked audio and label tracks allow labels to move with their corresponding audio when cutting, pasting or changing speed or tempo
* Hierarchical plug-in grouping for built-in plug-ins
Other experimental features: Sound activated recording; ability to save smaller, compressed project files; MIDI files can now be imported, cut-and-paste edited, then exported.
Miscellaneous: Interface improvements include a new Transport menu, and a new Preference to choose Waveform, Spectrum or Pitch view. Several bug fixes.
Bug fixes for:
* Cutting or deleting a region in the waveform and label track did not move the labels in advance of the cut
* Incorrect behavior snapping to labels and boundaries with Snap To enabled
* Projects froze if files imported via On-Demand were no longer available
* (Windows 7) Clicking in a file open or save dialog caused files or folders to disappear from the list, and file filtering was broken
* Other import/export, effects and crash fixes
Changes and Improvements:
* A hover tooltip is now provided if the Mixer Toolbar input selector cannot control the system slider for the selected input
* More intuitive behavior when moving and resizing labels by dragging
* Export Multiple: new option to use a numerical prefix before existing label or track names
* New Equalization preset \"Inverse RIAA\", with new button to invert other curves
* New Preferences choice for \"System\" language which is used on first run instead of asking user to choose language