Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista have already a built-in default, free and powerfull firewalls, but unfortunately, they lack a simple interface to define own simple rules and can be difficult sometimes to configure them the right way. Windows Firewall Control is a nifty little application developed to provide quick access to the most frequent options used from Windows Firewall. It sits in the system tray and allows user to control the Windows Firewall easily without having to waste time by navigating to the specific part of the Firewall. Options to enable or disable firewall, access Windows Firewall and its Advanced Security are all given in the system tray right-click context menu. It extends the default functionality of the native firewall by integrating the program into the context menu of the executable files and by showing to the user the notifications of outgoing blocked connections. This is the best tool to manage the native firewall in Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Windows Firewall Control offers access to four filtering modes, each with their own status icon in system tray, and different functionality:
- High Filtering - All outgoing connections are blocked. Neither of programs can not initiate outgoing connections. This setting blocks all attempts to connect to and from your computer. With this option, you aren't notified when Windows Firewall blocks programs, and programs in the list of allowed programs are ignored.
- Medium Filtering - Outgoing connections that do not match a rule are blocked. Only programs you allow can initiate outgoing connections. If you want to allow a program to communicate through the firewall, you can add it to the list of allowed programs. For example, you might not be able to send photos in an instant message until you add the instant messaging program to the list of allowed programs.
- Low Filtering - Outgoing connections that do not match a rule are allowed. You can block the programs you do not want to allow to initiate outgoing connections. If you want to block a program to communicate through the firewall, you can add it to the list of blocked programs. For example, you might want to block an instant messaging program so just add the program to the list of blocked programs.
- No Filtering - Windows Firewall is turned off. Avoid using this setting unless you have another firewall running on your computer. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from hackers and malicious software.
- Just one small size executable file. The same executable file is the setup program as well the program itself, and it has only 260 KB.
- Easy to use, intuitive menus placed system tray, which allows you to quick access and configure easily, the settings of Windows Firewall.
- Allow Always or Block Permanently a program to connect through Windows Firewall with just a single mouse click.
- Quick access to customizable firewall rules directly from Windows Firewall Control's interface, with option to set local and remote ports, or even delete them right away.
- Display the current active network connections for the local computer with programs names.
- Start automatically with Windows, at user logon.
- Quick reset to default Windows Firewall settings.
- Import and export the policies of the program, helping you to easily save and restore the settings of the program.
- Protection to uninstallation of the program when it is locked with a password.
- Uninstall procedure offers the user the possibility to restore previous settings, to keep the current ones or to restore to the default Windows settings.
Changelog for this release:
- New: Added a new shortcut to Resource Monitor (resmon.exe) in the Shortcuts tab.
- New: Updated the Properties view of a rule to accept also "bin" files beside "exe"
files. Open Office uses "soffice.bin" to connect to internet and check for updates.
- Fixed: Validation of the IP address was changed because in some situations it
could have failed.
- Fixed: Manage Rules is loading slow and freezes the main GUI. The loading is
done now in a background thread.
- Fixed: Manage Rules crashes randomly when is loading.
- Fixed: On notification window the information of the blocked connection is incomplete.
- Fixed: Duplicate notifications are displayed for the blocking rules, when using
remote IP as blocking rule.
Windows Firewall Control requires to run .NET Framework version 2.0 which is already installed by default in newer versions of Windows.
Designed for Windows 7 and Windows Vista, this program runs on all versions, including with Service Packs.
Compatible with both x86 and x64 versions of Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
Before using this software make sure that \"Windows Firewall\", \"TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper\" and \"Workstation\" services are not disabled.