VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
It doesn\'t need any external codec or program to work.
- Rewritten video output core and modules, allowing subpicture blending in GPU.
- Shader support in the OpenGL output, for colorspace conversion, including 10bits.
- New video outputs for Windows 7, Android, iOS and OS/2.
- New debanding, grain, denoising and anti-flickering filters.
- New deinterlacing filter, including an Inverse Telecine algorithm.
- New resamplers for higher quality audio.
- New dynamic range compressor and karaoke filters.
- Simplification of the audio core for faster processing.
- New audio outputs for iOS, Android and OS/2.
- Multi-threaded decoding for H.264, MPEG-4/Xvid and WebM.
- Support for 10bits codecs, WMV image and some other codecs.
- Rewritten support for images, including jpeg, png, xcf, bmp...
- Important changes in RealVideo and Real Format support.
- CrystalHD cards and Android OpenMAX support for hardware decoding.
Input and Devices
- Experimental support for BluRay discs:
- Menus are deactivated in this release (will come soon).
- AACS and BD+ DRM libraries and keys are not shipped, for legal reasons.
- Support for SDI capture cards and QTKit devices.
- Support for new adaptive streaming protocols, like HLS and DASH.
For Mac Users
- Completely new, single window interface:
- Available in 2 colors: Lion grey and QTX black.
- Extensions support and better Lion integration.
- Support for all QTKit devices through qtcapture and qtsound modules.
- Continued support for X 10.5 and PPC users (1080p and ProRes on Dual-G5!).
For Anime Fans
- Vastly improved MKV demuxer.
- Rewritten linked segments and ordered chapter files support.
- Correct support for FLAC, RV and Hi10p in MKV.
- Rewritten seeking support in cue files.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
For professional Users
- Support for ProRes 422 and 4444, AVC/Intra.
- Support for Jpeg-2000, Dirac and DNxHD/VC-3 in 10bits.
- Support for EBU subtitles (stl) and EIA-608.
- SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux.
- New Dirac/VC-2 encoder, faster than the previous one.
- libVLC, libVLCcore and libcompat have switched from GPL to LGPLv2.1+.
- New libVLC examples are available: media player, photobooth and mediainfo clones.
- New JSON requests on the web interface to control running VLC instances.
- Implementation of the MPRIS2 interface to control media players.
- VLC\'s web plugins have been rewritten for better integration and stability in all browsers.
Changelog for this release:
- Fix DVB-S delivery system detection
- Fix playback initial synchronization with PulseAudio (however similar bugs in PulseAudio version 2.0 and later still exist)
- Fix file output bug affecting floating point on big endian systems
- Fix crash with some embedded subtitle fonts
- Fix buffer overflow in HTML subtitles parser
- Fix koreus lua parser
- Improve reliability for RTSP streams sent by some IP cameras
- Fix division by 0 in AIFF demuxer
- Fix some MKV crashes when ordered editions have empty or broken links
- Fix SWF potential crash on malformed files.
- Fix crash in Freetype with embedded fonts
- Fix wrong aspect ratio in some cases
- Fix Mpeg-2 audio and video encoders initialization
- Fix https streaming
Fix audio and video track selection:
- The constant track identifier is now always used. Some functions previously incorrectly used the (moving) index of the track in the table of tracks.
- Update of Asturian, Bengali (India), Bosnian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, French, Galician, Scottish Gaelic, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Khmer, Malayalam, Polish, Slovak, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish, Thai translations
- Initial translations for Welsh and Interlingua