SNTPService is time synchronization client/server software for the more advanced user. It maintains network time synchronization services under 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows™ 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2003 and XP.
While an effective tool for the desktop, it also includes important features for enterprise network deployment. From a single workstation, an administrator can remotely configure, monitor, troubleshoot and track licensing of enterprise-wide SNTPServ client and server components.
SNTP Service software consists of two components:
The first component is an application that runs in the background as a Windows service, performing various time synchronization tasks. This application is constantly running, so it must be small and fast. Therefore, it does not have a graphical user interface (GUI), and does not include Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC). This drastically reduces memory requirements, lowers system overhead and consumes less of the host's resources.
The second component is the control panel applet. It is run from the system control panel to set up synchronization parameters. It provides the required control interface to the small service application (above), and monitors, tracks and troubleshoots service components.
A key advantage is the use of 'clock slewing' when synchronizing incorrect system time. Let's say your system clock says 8:23, but it is really 8:20. Most clock synchronizers will 'step' the clock back, instantly setting it to the correct time. This can cause serious problems with many software applications (often databases) that can't handle backwards time travel. SNTP Service avoids this problem by slowing down the incorrect clock until it lines up with real time (i.e. clock slewing). This method avoids any issues with software sensitive to time warps.
- Supports any combination of time servers, polled sequentially or in parallel
- Handles time zone differences and roving systems
- Supports remote control and provisioning
- Built-in protection against Denial Of Service attacks
- System log with 4 levels of events
- Low overhead minimizes impact on network, server resources
- Optimized for performance as Windows service
- Supports native 64-bit execution for best performance on 64-bit operating systems
- Complies with RFC2030 - Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4
- 30 day trial