As you probably know, most of the programs on portableapps.com don't have an update notification feature or, if they do, it's for the non-portable version (which is not very helpful, right?). PortableApps Updater will help you keep your portable software up-to-date. No need to open each program's webpage every day, waste time visiting the download page, wait for the download process to finish, copy it to your portable apps folder and run it. PortableApps Updater can help you skip all these steps with just one click!
For each program, the user has four options: Check, Check & Download, Check & Run and Don't Check.
1. Check will just check online for the program's version
2. Check & Download will also download the online version (if it's a newer version than the one you have on your computer) to a folder that you choose (default is the desktop)
3. Check & Run will download the online version (if it's a newer version than the one you have on your computer) and run it
4. Don't check will not check the online version.
* It's best to place the PortableApps Updater executable in the folder that contains all the portable software folders. Why? PortableApps Updater automatically scans the folder it's placed in for the portable software folders (such as PidginPortable, FirefoxPortable, FilezillaPortable etc). If you don't have the app placed in the same directory, just click the application's name and select the path.
* It would be totally unnecessary to have the program check the online version for apps that are not installed on your drive. Therefore you can easily create a default profile of apps that should or shouldn't be skipped. After saving your profile, each time you start PortableApps Updater the default profile will be automatically loaded, so you don't have to selected Don't check over and over again.