Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It is available in many languages and works on all common computers. It stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also read and write files from other common office software packages. It can be downloaded and used completely free of charge for any purpose.
Apache OpenOffice is the result of over twenty years' software engineering. Designed from the start as a single piece of software, it has a consistency other products cannot match. A completely open development process means that anyone can report bugs, request new features, or enhance the software. The result: Apache OpenOffice does everything you want your office software to do, the way you want it to.
Easy to use
Apache OpenOffice is easy to learn, and if you're already using another office software package, you'll take to OpenOffice straight away. Our world-wide native-language community means that OpenOffice is probably available and supported in your own language. And if you already have files from another office package - OpenOffice will probably read them with no difficulty.
Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used entirely free of any license fees. Apache OpenOffice is released under the Apache 2.0 License. This means you may use it for any purpose - domestic, commercial, educational, public administration. You may install it on as many computers as you like. You may make copies and give them away to family, friends, students, employees - anyone you like.
Changelog for this release:
New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
- British English
Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include:
Important bug fixes have been made in these areas:
- "quickstarter" problems
- extension cleanup
- auto update check now re-enabled by default
- "undo" issues in Calc
- "redo" issues in Calc
- "freeze" problem with Calc and Writer when LanguageTool is installed
- non-detection of java. "Oracle" as a java provider was added to aid in JVM identification. Previously, the vendor was Sun.
- Cleanup of temporary areas used by extensions installations. This will reduce the per-user disk footprint for multi-user installations.
- Keeping only one English dictionary for US-en installations instead of 5. This will save user space. Users will be able to add other English dictionaries (Canadian, Australian, New Zealand) as desired
- Hunspell library upgraded to version 1.3.2 from 1.2.9. This version contains several improvements especially for Dutch, German and other Germanic languages with extended compound word usage.
- Microsoft Windows 8 Compatibility