Novell NetWare Revisor is an indispensable assistant for a NetWare network administrator making it possible to create images of Bindery and NDS object databases from a Windows workstation, recover and clone servers, move objects, rights and accounts to another server, remotely control the state of servers, monitor network connections, track and release occupied file resources, create reports, recover the file structure and access rights, send messages to users, perform console server commands and much more.
# Server image
Novell NetWare Revisor can copy the flat Bindery database (for NetWare 3.x) or the Directory Tree database (for NetWare 4.x and higher) to its local storage. This copy (or image) will contain the most widely used objects (containers, groups, users), their attributes (names, descriptions, phone numbers, etc.), their relative location in the tree, their membership in groups, the entire file structure of the server and the access rights of each object for file resources. Owing to this feature and also to the built-in tools for viewing and editing the image, you will be able to easily find information about this or that server object, even without being connected to the network. You will not have to log in to the server and launch, for instance, the nwadmin utility to be able to get information about a users trustee rights for some folder. All that you will need is to have a fresh image of the server that Novell NetWare Revisor creates in no time.
# Creating reports
If you want to print out the object tree of your server, Novell NetWare Revisor will help you with this too. The program has a built-in visual report editor where you will be able to build a report of any complexity: from a simple object listing (a table where all usernames, groups, etc. are enumerated) to a multilevel report with the full description of properties of each object in the tree (attributes, location, membership, trustee rights, etc.). Novell NetWare Revisor already includes a basic set of profiles for creating full-featured reports and that is why you will not even have to build your own report when you just familiarize yourself with the program. The program creates reports based on the created server image and saves them in the HTML format that can be viewed in any Internet browser.
The features of the program connected with using the server image do not come down to viewing the object tree and creating reports offline. Novell NetWare Revisor will help you completely or partially recover the object database on a server, its file structure and trustee rights for files and folders. Just imagine the tiring work the administrator will have to do to recover the old system of trustee rights on one or several volumes after the hard drive of a server breaks down. And what if the system disk fails together with the data disk and it is necessary to create accounts for all employees anew? Even if the administrator recovers the server not from memory, but using schemes compiled and printed out beforehand, the procedure may take a rather long time. However, our experience shows that the server always goes down unexpectedly and exactly at the moment when the companys staff urgently needs it for their work. You do not have to be an economist to count the losses that company may suffer due to its server being down for a long time. Novell NetWare Revisor can considerably reduce your company's losses due to its built-in feature for recovering NetWare servers. The program will recover the entire information in several minutes and thus save your time and money.
Novell NetWare Revisor will also allow you to monitor the users who are connected to the server. The program will show the complete list of connections, users and occupied file resources. It will allow you to evaluate the overall load on the server. You will easily find out the number of connections allocated to one user and get the list of files he or she is currently using. The program can disconnect one or several users at once if it is launched under the administrator account. If you need to release a certain file, Novell NetWare Revisor will disconnect only those connections that block this file.
With Novell NetWare Revisor, you will be able to remotely execute console commands on the server, send short text message to one or several users, fully disable or enable the logging in for all server users. If you occasionally have to log in to the server under various accounts, the program will make your login more comfortable with its extended manual authentication features.
These range of tasks is far from the full list of tasks that Novell NetWare Revisor can deal with. After you try to work with the program, you will see that this tool make the administration considerably easier. No doubts this makes Novell NetWare Revisor an indispensable tool that any NetWare administrator must have at hand.
NetWare server maintenance
* Supporting such operating systems as Novell NetWare 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, Novell OES.
* Network monitor.
* Server filtering.
* Extended connection to servers and user authentication.
* Connection and authentication logs.
* Remote execution of the server's console commands.
* Blocking and unblocking the server.
* Server shutdown.
* Creation of full or partial eDirectory images (NDS/Bindery objects database, object attributes, group settings, user accounts, inherited rights filters, trustee rights, file structure, etc.).
* Logging of backup operations.
* Viewing and editing of server images outside the network.
* Browsing history.
* Password protection.
* Image signing and modifications counter.
* A possibility to export server images into other databases (XML).
* Complete or partial recovery of eDirectory.
* Transfer of objects and permissions to other NetWare servers of any version.
* Merging of several trees on a single server.
* Cloning servers.
* Migration of the Bindery server to the NDS platform and back.
* Logging of recovery operations.
* Complete or selective generation of listings for containers, groups, users and the server's file system.
* Creation of aggregate reports for several servers.
* Numerous options for constructing your own reports.
* Creating report profiles.
* Creation of an instant snapshot of server connections.
* Displaying the list of users connected to the server and connections.
* Displaying the list of file resources occupied on the server.
* Detecting clients' network addresses and their login times.
* Detecting active users with the administrator rights.
* Displaying changes.
* Disconnecting separate users and connections from the server.
* Sending short text messages.
* Convenient and thoroughly developed interface allowing you to find the information you need in no time.
Changelog for this release:
# Added support for setting "Use UTF-8 Encoding and NCP" in properties of the Novell Client
# Minor fixes.