Harmony Assistant is an unbeatable software for computer-assisted music composition and editing.
Its harmonizing capabilities enable the composer to build quickly and efficiently tunes that include accompaniment, multiple instruments and drum patterns
Its full page edit and engraver modes will ease editing and page setup of your scores.
The list of features in this program is so large that it cannot be enumerated here. Let's quote some of them anyway :
- Complete score editor, with unlimited number of staves
- Page mode editing
- Automatic harmonizer
- Accompaniments & drum patterns in a few clicks
- Tablature calculation for miscellaneous string instrument
- Tablature calculation for Harmonica, diatonic accordion, wind instruments...
- Completely scriptable application. Many open-source scripts are available, and you can write your own.
- Embedded softsynth : does not need any hardware other than a sound card.
- Digital Fx processors
- Midi, Kar, MOD, S3M... import
- Digital tracks (possible to import WAV, AIFF, MP3, OGG...)
- Digital track processing features : Wav-to-note pitch tracker, noise reduction, formant-compliant pitch change, multi-band equalizer...
- Export in miscellaneous digital file formats (WAV, AIFF, MP3, OGG...)
But also :
- Gregorian notation
- Chord diagram library for various instruments
- Enables to build custom instruments from digital recordings
- Lute tablatures
- Street organ card printing
- Used concurrently with Virtual Singer (available separately), Karaoke and multi-voices lyrics are actually sung.
- A freeware plug-in (Myriad plug-in) will enable visitors of your Web site to view, transpose, play or print your scores
- Several hours of free video tutorials will make your first steps easier.
Harmony manages a wide range of music symbols, and above all takes account for you to hear them as well.
Thus, grace notes, glissando, trills, mordants, vibrato, pedal, ottava, dynamics, etc, are played. A powerful editor lets you insert, delete and move notes easily on staves.
Harmony Assistant enables two different modes for note spacing: arithmetical and engraver mode.
In arithmetical spacing mode, notes and rests are separated by a distance that is proportional to their duration. For example, there is twice more distance after a half note than after a quarter. In engraver mode, distance between symbols can be freely adjusted.
Document window can be split into several parts, in order to see and edit several areas of the same score at the same time.
Each part has its own scale and display mode.
For example, you can have a window split in two, showing you the same document in scroll mode and page mode.
Harmony Assistant manages the notion of "views". Views are a different way of displaying a same score, completely or partially. They enable to display and work on some staves only, and to select a different page setup in each view.
For instance, if your document contains a whole orchestral score (conductor score), you can define a view for each instrument in the orchestra so that each performer could receive only the music sheet that matches their instrument.
In the Album window, objects or music patterns can be pasted to be retrieved later.
These objects can be sounds, parts of a song, graphics, text...
A complete digital instrument sound database is included in Harmony Assistant, which provides a very good quality of sound to playback your music, even if you do not own professional hardware.
Very elaborate digital effects (Reverb, Chorus, Distortion, Wah...) can be applied at any location on score.
Audio space mixer
It is a special palette to manage the volumes and stereo panning positions of each instrument. A special mode, called "live mode", memorizes the changes you make in real-time. Replay these edits right away; edit segments again for accuracy, save file to keep changes for replay anytime later.
Accompaniment and drum generator
Automatic accompaniments will be harmonized with your tune and played in it.
Create your own accompaniments as easily as you insert notes on a staff.
You can edit drum or percussive patterns and use them in your tune, just by placing them at the required position on score.
Chord grid calculation
Harmony can calculate automatically the chords that match notes on your score, then show the chord grid. You can then apply changes to this grid and rearrange your score.
Changelog for this release:
1. Direct access to MUSL from the application
2. New MyrScript version. See MyrScript manual for all changes
3. Fretted tab palette improvement. New display modes are provided. When the select cursor is on the score, the note is shown in the palette.
4. Improvements on all import scripts.
5. New script to hide all dynamics
6. Palette sizes can be changed: Shift+Click on the title.
7. In the "Virtual Keyboard", when the select cursor is on the score, the note is shown in the palette.
8. Chord diagrams can be displayed in relative or absolute colors (Global Setup > Appearance). A new section in the manual explains this color notation.
9. Real time MIDI input improvement
10. MIDI file format improvement
11. Stem direction computation improvement
12. Note contexual menu: change note or group of notes to rest.
13. Scroll mode: invisible rests are displayed in grey
14. Free texts and free texts objects, tag $W provides a clickable URL
15. Staff display mode : lyrics size can be adjusted to staff scale.
16. Jukebox : total time spent on a document can be displayed
17. Better display of chords names in chord grid.
18. When staff scale is changed, dynamics position is adapted
19. Alternate position in harmonica tab.
20. In harmonica setup you can define extra holes.
1. Picture fine position
2. Accordion tablatures
3. Chord manual beaming
4. Ties display
5. Alternate position on tabs
6. Ornaments display
7. Selected note moving
8. Metronome in digital export
9. "Repeat previous bar" display
10. Paper size is not displayed when control handles are hidden
11. Windows position at start up
12. TimeCode script
While unregistered, saving is disabled and printing is limited to one page only.