Earth Alerts is a Windows-based application that allows you to monitor in near real-time a variety of natural hazard events that are occurring anywhere around the world. Alert notifications, reports, and imagery provide the user with a convenient way to view natural phenomenon as they occur, whether close to home or some far-flung corner of the globe!
Earth Alerts uses a variety of online resources provided by organizations such as the National Weather Service, U.S. Geological Survey and Smithsonian Institution (just to name a few), to identify what sort of activities "Mother Earth" is currently dishing out on the planet.
To use Earth Alerts, you simply select the specific natural hazards -- earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, tropical cyclones, wildland fires, landslides, severe weather, local weather, etc. -- and the locations that interest you. The application will then automatically retrieve the latest information from various live data feeds available on the Internet and present it to you in a convenient arrangement of reports, maps and images.
Earth Alerts has been available to the general public since 2005. In that time it has undergone a number of significant enhancements. As a hobby, a one man production and a labor of love, conceiving the ideas and creating Earth Alerts has been a (time consuming) pet project over the past few years!
* Global activity overview: earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and tropical cyclones (typhoons, hurricanes, tropical storms, tropical depressions and other disturbances)
* Activity for user-selected Global locations (anywhere outside the U.S.): local earthquakes, local weather including current conditions, forecasts and satellite imagery
* United States activity overview: severe weather including special tornado and severe thunderstorm watches, volcanoes, wildland fires (wildfires), and landslide related hazards
* Activity for user-selected United States locations: local earthquakes; local wildland fires; local weather including NWS weather/hazard alerts, current conditions, forecasts and radar/satellite imagery
* Google Earth integration provides visualizations of recent earthquake events, volcanoes, tropical cyclones, wildland fires and severe weather warnings. Google Earth integration also provides high resolution views of any user-selected U.S. or Global location
* Visual and sound notifications on your Windows desktop identifying active alerts
* Email notifications of active alerts
* Mobile phone text message (SMS) alert notifications of active tsunami watches / warnings, magnitude 5.0+ earthquakes, major volcanic eruptions and tornado warnings
Changelog for this release:
Bug fixes to make sure that Earth Alerts recovers properly after Windows returns from sleep/low power mode and/or when Internet connectivity is temporarily lost; bug seems to occur only when "Auto Update Mode" is active (turned ON)
Small changes designed to improve the handling of report contents (titles and region names specifically); small tweaks designed to improve retrieval of the location map image for each earthquake event