BabelPad is a free Unicode text editor for Windows that supports the proper rendering of most complex scripts, and allows you to assign different fonts to different scripts in order to facilitate multi-script text editing.
* Swap between Edit Mode and Browser Mode :
o Edit Mode allows documents of any size to be edited in plain text format.
o Browser Mode allows the current document to be viewed in an Internet Explorer browser window.
* The user interface menus and other text elements may be displayed in any of the following languages :
o Chinese (simplified)
o Chinese (traditional)
* Multiple instances of BabelPad may be tiled (horizontally, vertically or patchwork), cascaded, minimized, maximized, restored or closed from the "Window" menu of any of the BabelPad windows.
* Open files encoded as :
o Unicode : UTF-8
o Unicode : UTF-16 (Big Endian or Little Endian)
o Unicode : UTF-32 (Big Endian or Little Endian)
o Unicode : UTF-7
o Unicode : CESU-8
o Unicode 1.0 : UCS-2
o Unicode 1.1 : UCS-2
o Unicode 1.1 : UTF-7
o ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) : Western European
o ISO-8859-2 (Latin2) : Non-Cyrillic Central European
o ISO-8859-3 (Latin3) : Esperanto, Galician, Maltese, Turkish
o ISO-8859-4 (Latin4) : Baltic Rim
o ISO-8859-5 (Cyrillic)
o ISO-8859-6 (Arabic)
o ISO-8859-7 (Greek)
o ISO-8859-8 (Hebrew)
o ISO-8859-9 (Latin5) : Improved Turkish
o ISO-8859-10 (Latin6) : Inuit, Lappish
o ISO-8859-11 (Thai)
o ISO-8859-13 (Latin7) : Improved Baltic Rim
o ISO-8859-14 (Latin8) : Celtic
o ISO-8859-15 (Latin9, a.k.a. Latin0) : Improved Western European
o ISO-8859-16 (Latin10) : South-Eastern European
o Windows CP 874 (Thai)
o Windows CP 932 (extension of Shift-JIS) : Japanese
o Windows CP 936 (extension of GB2312) : Simplified Chinese
o Windows CP 949 (Unified Hangul Code) : Korean
o Windows CP 950 (extension of Big5) : Traditional Chinese
o Windows CP 1133 (Lao)
o Windows CP 1250 (East European)
o Windows CP 1251 (Cyrillic)
o Windows CP 1252 (West European)
o Windows CP 1253 (Greek)
o Windows CP 1254 (Turkish)
o Windows CP 1255 (Hebrew)
o Windows CP 1256 (Arabic)
o Windows CP 1257 (Baltic)
o Windows CP 1258 (Vietnamese)
o EUC-JA (Japanese)
o EUC-KR (Korean)
o GB18030 (Extended Chinese) : Unicode-mapped superset of GB2312
o GB2312 (Simplified Chinese)
o Big5 (Traditional Chinese)
o Big5-HKSCS (Big5 plus Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set)
o Shift-JIS (Japanese)
o JIS X 0201 (Latin plus Katakana)
o JIS X 0208 (Japanese)
o KSC 5601 (KS X 1001) (Korean)
o Wansung (Korean)
o Johab (Korean)
o KOI8-R (Russian)
o KOI8-U (Ukranian)
o ARMSCII-8 (Armenian)
o VISCII (Vietnamese)
o VIQR (Vietnamese Quoted Readable)
o TIS-620 (Thai)
o Mulelao-1 (Lao)
o TSCII (Tamil)
o TAM (Tamil Monolingual)
o TAB (Tamil Bilingual)
o I.S. 434 (Ogham)
* Autodetects Unicode encoding forms and character sets declared in HTML or XML documents.
* Automatically convert CR/LF, CR, LF, Line Separator and Paragraph Separator characters.
* Option to convert Numeric Character References (NCR) and/or Universal Character Names (UCN) to Unicode characters on Open.
* Save the current document as :
o Unicode : UTF-8 (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
o Unicode : UTF-16 Big Endian or Little Endian (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
o Unicode : UTF-32 Big Endian or Little Endian (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
o GB18030 (with or without a Byte Order Mark)
o ASCII with Hexadecimal Numeric Character Reference (NCR) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
o ASCII with Decimal Numeric Character Reference (NCR) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
o ASCII with Universal Character Name (UCN) substitution of non Basic Latin characters
o ASCII with HTML Entity substitution of non Basic Latin characters
* Save line breaks as CR/LF, LF, CR, or as Unicode Line Separator [U+2028] or Paragraph Separator characters [U+2029].
* Left-To-Right (LTR) or Right-To-Left (RTL) page layout.
* Line Wrap mode or No Line Wrap mode.
* Drag and Drop editing.
* Multiple Undo/Redo.
* Indent and Unindent selected lines of text using TAB and Shift-TAB.
* Option to Auto-Indent text as you type (useful for writing code).
* Select a "word" by double-clicking and navigate by "word" by means of the left/right arrows (works for most Unicode scripts).
* Select a line of text by left-clicking in the margin (select a paragraph by double-clicking in the margin).
* Find and Replace functions.
* Select default font and font size from dropdown list on the toolbar.
* Configure individual Unicode blocks to always use a particular font regardless of which font is currently selected for default display.
* Status Bar displays codepoint and Unicode name of the character at the current caret position.
* For CJK ideographs the status bar also displays the Mandarin, Korean or Vietnamese reading for the character at the current caret position (choice of reading is user-selectable).
* Able to open and edit very large (multi-megabyte) files with little degredation in performance.
* Standard printing functionality enabled.
Tools and Utilities
* Font Analysis Utility : lists all Unicode blocks covered by a particular font or lists all fonts that cover a particular Unicode block.
* Font Information Utility : provides information about the currently selected font.
* Font Glyph Export Utility : export any or all glyphs from any font to file in BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG format.
* Font Coverage Utility : List all fonts that cover a particular character or all the characters in a piece of text or all the characters in the BabelMap edit buffer.
* Advanced Character Search Utility : lists all characters that meet specified criteria.
* UCD Data Utility : generates UCD-format data for a given range of characters for any version of Unicode.
* Character History Utility : enumerates the UCD properties for a given character for all versions of Unicode, including mappings to Unicode 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 where appropriate.
* Han Radical Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given radical and number of strokes (covers all 74,394 characters in the CJK, CJK-A, CJK-B and CJK-C blocks).
* Mandarin Pinyin Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given Mandarin pinyin pronunciation.
* Cantonese Jyutping Lookup Utility : lists all Han ideographs with a given Cantonese jyutping pronunciation.
* Yi Radical Lookup Utility : lists all Yi syllables with a given radical and number of strokes.
* Unicode Summary Utility : provides a summary of the script, block and character coverage of the current version of Unicode.
* Unicode Version History Utility : provides a summary of the repertoire of each version of Unicode from 1.0 onwards.
* Document Analysis Utility : provides statistical information about the current document, and highlights any invalid characters.
* Character Frequency Utility : lists all the characters in the document by frequency.
* Horizontal scroll is fixed width, and so some extremely long lines may be truncated when not in Line Wrap mode.
* When in Line Wrap mode, it is not possible to scroll into view the trailing part of a line that is so long that it does not completely