Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems. Learn more about Audacity... Also check our Wiki and Forum for more information.
This release highlights exciting new capabilities
* FFmpeg support (downloadable separately) permits import and export of a much wider range of file formats, including WMA, M4A and AC3, plus import of audio from video files
* On-demand loading of uncompressed files eliminates the wait before files can be played or edited
* Linked audio and label tracks allow labels to move with their corresponding audio when cutting, pasting or changing speed or tempo
* Hierarchical plug-in grouping for built-in plug-ins
Other experimental features: Sound activated recording; ability to save smaller, compressed project files; MIDI files can now be imported, cut-and-paste edited, then exported.
Miscellaneous: Interface improvements include a new Transport menu, and a new Preference to choose Waveform, Spectrum or Pitch view. Several bug fixes.
Changelog for this release:
Imports and Exports:
- Fix a crash importing MP3 files that had duplicate metadata tags
- this is a bug in current libsndfile which has been patched in Audacity; MP3 files mislabeled as WAV which have duplicate tags will still crash Audacity on Linux if Audacity has been compiled against an affected version of system libsndfile).
- Fixed an issue where excessively high or corrupted sample values in the audio could corrupt exports from the start of the problem for the rest of the file, and could corrupt the rest of the project.
- Linux) Fixed Audacity could not be compiled against FFmpeg 0.7.x and 0.8.x.
Effects and Analysis:
- Fixed crash on launch when using "Ambisonic Decoders (PC)" VST plug-ins and other plug-ins that enable additional floating point exceptions.
- Fixed Plot Spectrum background could be transparent on some machines.
- Bug fixes for Click Track, High Pass, Low Pass and Vocal Remover.
- Chirp, Tone and Silence generators now remember their settings.
- Other miscellaneous bug fixes.
Changes and Improvements:
- New Interface preference to show the track name in the display (this is off by default).
- Longer default Playback preference for effects preview and preview before cut.
- Restored use of Page Up and Page Down to scroll horizontally.