RoSoftDownload Editor's Review :
WinRAR is one of the best software for compressed files with a history of the brand in the world of software, a program that has grown and been renewed always knew how to adapt to new market demands. WinRAR is not centered only in a single format or just existing, but adds new formats from one version to another.
WinRAR can create and decompress files in most popular formats. The program recognizes the following formats to decompress archives: RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO and it can create RAR and ZIP archive type. It has feature for testing the compressed files in order to check for any potential compression errors and also allows to create empty files that can be filled with any type of files.
Among the best features of WinRAR program can be found the possibility of a general and multimedia strong compressions, the ability to process archives in different formats than RAR, ZIP compression and decompression, support for long file names, programmable archives with self-extracting feature, repair flawed , verifying their authenticity and encryption setting.
It is possible to manipulate the parameters of many archives at once and view a multi-volume archive as a single archive. WinRAR can convert other archive formats to RAR. The program supports command \"Find\", allowing archive search of specified text and files.
This program does not consume many system resources,does not occupy much space on the hard disk and has a simple and intuitive interface that anyone can use the program without any problem.
WinRAR is a shareware or trial program license, this means that the program can be downloaded and used free of charge only a certain period of time and with some limitations.
However, the advantage is that after the trial period, the user can still use the free program, the only drawback would be that message every time that endorsed free period expired, but the program does not affect operations.
WinRAR is compatible with modern operating systems of Windows but also Mac and Linux.
WinRAR is a 32-bit Windows version of RAR Archiver, the powerful archiver and archive manager. WinRARs main features are very strong general and multimedia compression, solid compression, archive protection from damage, processing of ZIP and other non-RAR archives, scanning archives for viruses, programmable self-extracting archives(SFX), authenticity verification, NTFS and Unicode support, strong AES encryption, support of multivolume archives, command line and graphical interface, drag-and-drop facility, wizard interface, theme support, folder tree panel, multithread support and Windows x64 shell integration.
Designed to work on Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP/2003 WinRAR provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack and convert CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z, 7-Zip archives.
WinRAR is available in over 40 languages. The command line version RAR is available for Linux, DOS, OS/2, FreeBSD and MAC OS X.Pocket RAR, the free WinRAR version for Pocket PCs, completes the compression product range.
WinRAR - What's new in the latest version
1. Added support for ZIP archives containing Unicode file names in UTF-8 format. When creating ZIP archive, WinRAR stores names in Unicode only if they cannot be stored correctly using the current single byte character set.
2. Added decompression support for WinZip AES encrypted ZIP archives.
3. Improved Unicode support for RAR and ZIP archive names.
4. "Ask before overwrite" and "Skip existing files" update modes are now available in archiving dialog. They allow to specify WinRAR behavior when updating already existing files in archive. Unlike already available "Fresh existing files only" and "Add and update files", these new modes ignore file date and compare only file names.
Command line equivalents of these modes are:
a) switch -o enables "Ask before overwrite" archiving mode;
b) switch -o- enables "Skip existing files" archiving mode;
c) switch -o+ enables "Overwrite all" mode (default for archiving).
5. New "Add to context menu" option in "Profile parameters" dialog. If this option is on, the profile name will be displayed in Explorer context menus allowing to activate a profile from context menu.
6. New -cp switch allows to select a compression profile in command line mode. It is supported only by GUI WinRAR.exe, not by rar.exe.
7. New "Options" page of archiving dialog contains the group of settings modifying the behavior of "Delete files after archiving" option from "General" page:
a) Delete files. Delete files normally like in previous WinRAR versions.
b) Move files to Recycle Bin. Deleted files are placed to Recycle Bin.
Command line equivalent of this option is -dr switch.
c) Wipe files. Before deleting file data are overwritten by zero bytes to prevent recovery of deleted files.
Command line equivalent of this option is -dw switch.
All these options have an effect only if "Delete files after archiving" is on. You can enable any of these options in the default compression profile to change the default behavior of "Delete files after archiving".
8. WinRAR "Extraction path and options" dialog is now resizable. You can use the mouse to drag its border to the desired size and provide more space for folder tree pane. WinRAR will store new dimensions of this dialog.
9. New "Update" SFX script command and "Update mode" group of options in "Update" page of "Advanced SFX options" dialog. These command and options allow to check time and implement file time based updating;
10. SFX script "Shortcut" command and "Add shortcut..." command in "Advanced SFX options" dialog now allow to specify an icon file containing an icon associated with shortcut.
11. New "Wipe temporary files" option in "Settings/Security" dialog provides more secure, though slower, way to delete temporary WinRAR files.
12. WinRAR and RAR display the total progress bar when unpacking a multivolume RAR archive if all volumes are present in the same folder.
13. WinRAR and RAR automatically expand names of environment variables in list files. For example, a list file can contain lines like:
This feature is available only in Windows RAR version.
14. Added support of TAR archives with non-zero "extra field" data.
15. Added support of TAR archives, which does not contain the end of archive entry consisting of 512 zero bytes.
16. Improved Unicode support when dragging files from WinRAR window.
17. Shift+Tab key combination can be used in main WinRAR window to switch the input focus between interface elements (files, comment, tree, address) in reverse order. In previous versions Shift+Tab used the same order as Tab.
18. Corrected a possible WinRAR crash when opening truncated UDF ISO files.
Changelog for this release:
- Recovery volume creating and processing can use several CPU cores resulting in higher speed. Though, typically hard drive seek speed is a limiting factor for recovery volumes, so this gain is most noticeable when working with solid state drive.
- Now the allowed value for -mt switch is 1 - 32, not 0 - 16 as before.
- "Find files" command can search data in 7-Zip archives. Previously "Find files" did not support .7z archive format.
- Windows 2000 is not supported by WinRAR and WinRAR self-extracting modules anymore.
- RAR general decompression algorithm speed is slightly improved, though not to same extent as RAR compression. RAR decompression is not able to use several processor cores, so its performance does not depend on a number of cores.
- "Save current settings" button in "Advanced SFX options" dialog is now available only when converting an existing archive to SFX. Options saved with this button are applied only to convert to SFX operation. If you create or update SFX archive, only SFX options stored in default compression profile are used. Options saved in "Advanced SFX options" dialog are ignored for these operations.
Changes in ZIP compression:
- now ZIP compression supports several processor cores resulting in noticeably higher performance in multi-core environment. Single CPU ZIP compression is also faster than in 4.11;
- memory use for ZIP compression is increased to about 15 MB.
Changes in RAR compression:
- RAR general compression algorithm is optimized for better utilization of several processor cores. While some speed gain is possible even in single processor mode, best results are achieved in multi-core environment. Speed gain depends on data type and average file size. Several cores are utilized more efficiently when compressing large files.
- we had to increase memory requirements to achieve higher compression speed. General RAR compression algorithm allocates about 120 MB comparing to 40 MB in WinRAR 4.11;
- RAR text compression algorithm cannot utilize several CPU cores efficiently, so its performance in multiprocessor environment is much lower than for general algorithm. Also its decompression speed is much lower than in general algorithm regardless of CPU number. So we decided to disable the text algorithm by default. If you need maximum possible compression ratio for plain text data regardless of speed, you can enable the text compression in "Advanced compression parameter" dialog. Press "Compression..." button on "Advanced" page of archiving dialog to access it. You can also change this option permanently in default compression profile; In the command line mode the text compression can be enabled with -mct switch;
- "Fastest" (-m1) compression mode also supports several processor cores now. In 4.11 it could use only a single processor core.